New Jersey Lawyer for Disability Benefits for Children in New Jersey

Children who suffer from disabilities are eligible to receive benefits known as Social Security Income (SSI). In order to qualify, they will need to meet certain requirements outlined by the Social Security Administration. These benefits are available to children under the age of 18 who have a disability that causes severe functional limitations. Children who qualify for Social Security Income benefits must also belong to families whose household income is below a certain limit.

Your child with disabilities may be eligible to receive SSI benefits. Consider filing an application today with the help of New Jersey disability attorneys Young Marr & Associates. Call their law offices for more information at (215) 701-6519.

Eligibility Requirements for SSI Benefits for Children

The Social Security Administration offers programs that are meant to assist disabled individuals who cannot work. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is meant for adults who have accumulated work credits, while Social Security Income (SSI) is meant for people who have great financial needs but have never worked or have not accumulated enough credits.

SSI for children is issued if the child meets basic eligibility requirements. The child must have a condition that is listed in the Listing of Impairments (also known as the “Blue Book”) which is the book of guidelines that the SSA uses to determine not only which conditions qualify for benefits but how severe they must be in order for applicants to qualify for those benefits. The Listing of Impairments for children is different than the listing for adults.

The conditions that qualify children for SSI benefits according to the SSA’s Listing of Impairments include:

  • Low birth weight and failure to thrive
  • Musculoskeletal system disorders
  • Special senses and speech
  • Cardiovascular system disorders
  • Digestive system disorders
  • Genitourinary disorders
  • Hematological disorders
  • Skin disorders
  • Endocrine disorders
  • Congenital disorders that affect multiple body systems
  • Neurological disorders
  • Mental disorders
  • Cancer
  • Immune system disorders

To qualify for SSI benefits, children must have the disorder listed in the Listing of Impairments. Children that have disorders that are not listed may still be able to qualify for benefits with the help of an attorney.

Once it has been established that a child has a condition that is either in the Listing of Impairments or otherwise recognized by the SSA as being a severe condition, it must be severe enough to warrant benefits. The rubric of severity for each condition is also listed in the Listing of Impairments.
Children must not make more than $733 per month to be able to qualify. This applies to teenagers only, since most children are too young to work.

How to File for SSI Benefits for Your Child

As a parent, you will be applying for SSI benefits for your child. The first step in the process of applying for SSI benefits for your child is completing a Child Disability Report, which authorizes the sharing of your child’s information with the Social Security Administration. Note that this report requires granting permission to your child’s physician to share medical information with the Social Security Administration. This can be completed and submitted through the SSA’s website or in person at the nearest SSA field office.

When the Child Disability Report is completed, you will need to contact the Social Security Administration to set up an appointment. You can set up an appointment by either calling their local SSA office, emailing the SSA, or sending a letter to the SSA’s Office of Public Inquiries.

How to Use Your Own SSDI Benefits for Your Child

Your child can use Social Security Income (SSI) benefits for their own disability, but they may also be able to receive benefits from your Social Security Disability Insurance, whether they have a disability or not.

If your child does not have a disability, you may still be able to receive benefits for your child as part of the Social Security Disability benefits that you receive for your own disability. If you receive benefits through SSDI, your spouse and children are also eligible to receive between 50% and 80% of the benefits that you receive. If you and your spouse have children who are under the age of 16, then your spouse will automatically receive benefits so that you have funds to take care of the children. You will receive benefits for each child in your family, but the amount of benefits your family receives cannot exceed 180% of your personal benefits.

If your child does have a disability, you may be able to use your own work history to obtain Social Security Disability benefits for that child. To qualify for benefits through your SSDI, your child must have a disability that meets the requirements listed by the SSA’s Listing of Impairments. These benefits can continue after the child turns 18 or graduates from high school and, depending on their disability, throughout the rest of their life.

However, the benefits from your SSDI may be cut off when your child gets married.

New Jersey Attorneys for Disability Benefits for Children

The disability lawyers who work with Young Marr & Associates are prepared to put their experience to use to help you file for SSI benefits for your child. Don’t delay getting your child the help they need. If you would like to set up a free and confidential consultation with Young Marr & Associates, contact them at (215) 701-6519 today.

Have an Attorney Review Your Case for Free

Get a Free Case Evaluation

Contact Our Attorneys To Learn How We Can Help Your Case


12 Convenient Locations Across Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Philadelphia, PA

7909 Bustletown Ave, 1st Floor Philadelphia, PA 19152 (215) 607-7478 Get Directions

Quakertown, PA

328 Broad St. Quakertown, PA 18951 (215) 515-6876 Get Directions

Allentown, PA

137 N 5th St. Suite A Allentown, PA 18102 (215) 240-4082 Get Directions

Jenkintown, PA

135 Old York Road Jenkintown, PA 19046 (215) 544-3347 Get Directions

Easton, PA

101 Larry Holmes Dr. #212 Easton, PA 18042 (215) 515-7077 Get Directions

Bala Cynwyd, PA

2 Bala Plaza, Suite 300 Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004 (610) 557-3209 Get Directions

Bensalem, PA

3554 Hulmeville Rd, #102 Bensalem, PA 19020 (215) 515-6389 Get Directions

Plymouth Meeting, PA

600 W. Germantown Pike #400 Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462 (215) 515-6876 Get Directions

Harrisburg, PA

2225 Sycamore St Harrisburg, PA 17111 (717) 864-8887 Get Directions

Cinnaminson, NJ

909 Route 130 South #202 Cinnaminson, NJ 08077 (609) 796-4344 Get Directions

Hamilton Twp., NJ

100 Horizon Center Blvd., 1st and 2nd Floors Hamilton Township, NJ 08691 (609) 236-8649 Get Directions

Marlton, NJ

10000 Lincoln Drive E One Greentree Centre, Suite 201 Marlton, NJ 08053 (856) 213-2805 Get Directions

Piscataway, NJ

200 Centennial Ave. Suite 200 Piscataway, NJ 08854 (908) 367-7256 Get Directions