Can My Child Get SSDI in Pennsylvania if I am Disabled?

If you’re a disabled Pennsylvania resident, you may already be receiving Social Security Disability (SSDI) benefits. If you have children, they may also be eligible for benefits, provided they meet the necessary criteria.

Children of disabled parents may be eligible for SSDI payments in Pennsylvania. Nondisabled children must be below the age of 18 and either the biological or adoptive child of a SSDI recipient to get receive family benefits. There are some exceptions to these rules, so ask an attorney whether you qualify. Disabled children in Pennsylvania may also be eligible for SSDI benefits through a parent’s work history. ,If you and your child are both disabled, you can apply for Social Security Disability benefits on their behalf in Pennsylvania. This can be a complicated process, so it benefits Pennsylvania parents to seek help from an experienced SSDI lawyers in Philadelphia.

Our attorneys are here to help families throughout Pennsylvania learn about the disability benefits available to them. For a free case evaluation with the Pennsylvania disability lawyers at Young, Marr, Mallis & Deane, call today at (215) 515-2954.

Can Able-Bodied Children Get SSDI Benefits Through Disabled Parents in Pennsylvania?

If you receive SSDI benefits in Pennsylvania, your children may also be eligible for additional payments. Generally, this extension of benefits is only possible for SSDI payment recipients and their children who meet the necessary eligibility requirements.

For a child to receive Social Security Disability payments through a parent, they must meet the necessary criteria. The first requirement is that a child has a Social Security number and a birth certificate. Children must also have a disabled or retired parent eligible to receive Social Security benefits payments in Pennsylvania or a deceased parent with a sufficient work history. It’s important to note that only biological children, adoptive children, and dependent stepchildren are eligible for SSDI benefits through a parent in Pennsylvania.

Age also matters. To be eligible for SSDI payments in Pennsylvania, children must be under 18 and unmarried. There is an exception for high school students, who may be able to receive benefits until the age of 19 in Pennsylvania. If your child is also disabled, their benefits may continue past the age of 18.

Children in Pennsylvania can receive up to half of a disabled parent’s full Social Security Disability benefits. The child of a deceased parent can receive up to 75% of their basic Social Security benefit on top of what the parent already receives for themselves. That said, the larger a family is, the more complicated divvying up benefits can be.

Family benefits are not exclusive to an SSDI recipient’s children. Spouses in Pennsylvania may also be eligible for SSDI payments if they have a disabled spouse. Grandchildren may also be eligible for benefits through a grandparent if they have been legally adopted. To better understand the benefits you’re entitled to, ask a Philadelphia disability lawyer for clarification.

Can Disabled Children Get SSDI Benefits Through Disabled Parents in Pennsylvania?

If you and your child and both disabled, you may wonder how they can also access SSDI benefits in Pennsylvania.  If you’re eligible for Social Security benefits yourself and your disabled child meets the necessary criteria, your child can receive SSDI payments in Pennsylvania. Of the eligibility requirements for SSDI benefits, two stand out: work history and disability. If your minor child is already disabled or your child is disabled as young adult, it is unlikely that they have a work history to qualify them for SSDI payments. In Pennsylvania, a parent’s work history can be sufficient.

If your child sustained a disability before age 22, they can be eligible for SSDI benefits through your earning record. Minor children can receive benefits past the age of 18, provided their disability remains. Those diagnosed with a disability between the ages of 18 and 22 may have to meet additional eligibility requirements to qualify for SSDI benefits through a parent’s earning record, which is why consulting a Pennsylvania disability lawyer is wise.

For a disabled adult child (DAC) to be eligible for SSDI benefits without an earning record in Pennsylvania, they must have a parent that is currently receiving Social Security retirement or disability benefits, or have a deceased parent with an earning record that qualified them for Social Security benefits. DACs must also meet the Social Security Administration’s disability standards for adults, while minor recipients must meet the disability standards for children.

Grandchildren and Disability Benefits

In some cases, a child is being raised by a grandparent. If you are caring for a grandchild or a step-grandchild, they could be eligible for SSDI benefits much the same way as if they were your children.

However, there are a number of requirements that must be met. The biological parents must be either deceased or disabled. There is also a residence requirement. Your grandchild must have lived in your home for 12 months before they are eligible for SSDI benefits. If the child is under the age of 12 months, they must have lived with you for most of their life.

Additionally, you must provide at least half of the financial support necessary to care for the child. In cases of grandparent adoption, you are not required to meet any of the above requirements. Your grandchild would receive benefits under the same circumstances as a biological child.

Will My Children Continue to Receive Disability Benefits if I Die?

Your children are entitled to receive survivor benefits should you pass away. Survivor benefits typically are 75 percent of a deceased parent’s benefits. These benefits will continue until your child reaches the age of 18. If they are 19 and still in high school, then the benefits will continue for the additional year.

If your child became disabled before the age of 22, they could continue to receive benefits after your death as long as they remain disabled and never get married.

In the situation where a child was receiving benefits through their grandparent, the child can continue to receive 75 percent of their grandparent’s benefits if they met the required eligibility for SSDI benefits when their grandparent was alive.

How Can Parents Apply for SSDI Benefits for Children in Pennsylvania?

The application process for child SSDI benefits in Pennsylvania can be overwhelming. Parents must be able to provide sufficient information and answer any and all questions a Social Security Administration official may have. The process can be more complex if your child requires benefits because of their own condition. For parents, turning to an experienced Pennsylvania disability lawyer is the best way to simplify the application process.

Apart from scheduling an appointment at a local Social Security office, Pennsylvania parents may be unsure how to apply for benefits for their children. The first thing your Bensalem disability lawyer will help you do is to compile documents that prove your child’s relationship to you and their citizenship status. If your child is disabled and requires SSDI benefits, your attorney can help you complete a Child Disability Report and an SSDI benefits application. Next, your attorney can prepare you for an interview.

Interviews for family benefits can be overwhelming. A Social Security Administration representative may ask questions about your relationship with your child and other personal questions. The process can be even more complicated if a disabled adult child is attempting to access benefits through a deceased parent’s earning record.

If your child is disabled, or your disability has prevented you from being able to financially support your family, ask your attorney how SSDI benefits can help. The application process differs depending on your situation, so reach out to a Delaware county SSDI lawyer so that you’re prepared.

Our Attorneys Can Help You Apply for SSDI Benefits in Pennsylvania Today

If you want to apply for SSDI benefits for your child, our attorneys can help. For a free case evaluation with the Bucks County disability lawyers at Young, Marr, Mallis & Deane, call today at (215) 515-2954.

Related Articles

How Bankruptcy Can Protect You

Filing for bankruptcy is often thought of as a sign of failure. At best, it is seen as a last resort when faced with too many bills, collection letters, or […]

Read More »

Means Testing in Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 Bankruptcy

Bankruptcy has many layers. Before filing, a potential debtor will have to gather their bills, bank statements, tax returns, and proof of all household income for the previous six months. […]

Read More »

How Many Types of Social Security Benefits Are Available?

While it is necessary to be disabled to receive disability benefits, the non-medical requirements are different for each category. You may be entitled to one or more types of benefits. […]

Read More »

Have an Attorney Review Your Case for Free

Get a Free Case Evaluation

Contact Our Attorneys To Learn How We Can Help Your Case


12 Convenient Locations Across Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Philadelphia, PA

7909 Bustletown Ave, 1st Floor Philadelphia, PA 19152 (215) 607-7478 Get Directions

Quakertown, PA

328 Broad St. Quakertown, PA 18951 (215) 515-6876 Get Directions

Allentown, PA

137 N 5th St. Suite A Allentown, PA 18102 (215) 240-4082 Get Directions

Jenkintown, PA

135 Old York Road Jenkintown, PA 19046 (215) 544-3347 Get Directions

Easton, PA

101 Larry Holmes Dr. #212 Easton, PA 18042 (215) 515-7077 Get Directions

Bala Cynwyd, PA

2 Bala Plaza, Suite 300 Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004 (610) 557-3209 Get Directions

Bensalem, PA

3554 Hulmeville Rd, #102 Bensalem, PA 19020 (215) 515-6389 Get Directions

Plymouth Meeting, PA

600 W. Germantown Pike #400 Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462 (215) 515-6876 Get Directions

Harrisburg, PA

2225 Sycamore St Harrisburg, PA 17111 (717) 864-8887 Get Directions

Cinnaminson, NJ

909 Route 130 South #202 Cinnaminson, NJ 08077 (609) 796-4344 Get Directions

Hamilton Twp., NJ

100 Horizon Center Blvd., 1st and 2nd Floors Hamilton Township, NJ 08691 (609) 236-8649 Get Directions

Marlton, NJ

10000 Lincoln Drive E One Greentree Centre, Suite 201 Marlton, NJ 08053 (856) 213-2805 Get Directions

Piscataway, NJ

200 Centennial Ave. Suite 200 Piscataway, NJ 08854 (908) 367-7256 Get Directions