What Happens if You Don’t Pay Back an SSDI Overpayment?

Suppose you recently received a notice of overpayment for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits. What does this notice mean, and what will happen if you don’t pay back the difference?

You might face serious consequences if you don’t pay back an SSDI overpayment. The Social Security Administration (SSA) might temporarily pause your monthly benefits. Your federal tax refund and employment check might be affected, as well as your credit. That said, it’s important to consult our attorneys before paying back a supposed overpayment. The SSA might have mistakenly sent you a notice of overpayment. In that case, you may not owe the SSA anything. To avoid any consequences from an overpayment of SSDI benefits, contact our lawyers after receiving a notice from the SSA.

We’re here to help SSDI benefit recipients navigate an overpayment of benefits. For a free case evaluation with the Pennsylvania disability attorneys at Young, Marr, Mallis & Associates, call today at (215) 515-2954 or (609) 557-3081.

What Can Happen if You Don’t Pay Back an SSDI Overpayment?

If you receive a notice of overpayment for SSDI benefits from the Social Security Administration, it’s important to respond quickly. Failure to pay back the difference to the SSA might result in serious consequences. The first thing that might be impacted is your future disability benefits. The SSA might also take a portion of your federal refund or employment check. The SSA might even report recipients’ nonpayment to credit bureaus in serious situations.

Loss of Benefits

If you don’t repay the SSA for an overpayment of SSDI benefits, your access to future benefits may be in jeopardy. Typically, the SSA will halt future SSDI benefit checks for the time that an overpayment is unresolved. This might seriously impact recipients who rely on SSDI benefit checks to support themselves and their families. Our disability attorneys can help you quickly address a notice of overpayment so that you don’t lose access to your SSDI benefits, temporarily or permanently.

Loss of Percentage of Federal Refund Check

When SSDI recipients don’t pay back on an overpayment, they might lose a portion of their federal refund check. After you file your taxes, you typically receive a refund check from the federal government. The SSA is a federal agency, which means it can easily remove funds from your refund check to put toward repayment for overpaid SSDI benefits.

Loss of Percentage of Employment Check

Some SSDI benefit recipients continue to work a part-time job that allows them to earn additional income while staying under the substantial gainful activity threshold. If you owe the SSA money for a disability check that was too large, the SSA might take funds out of your employment check to make up the difference.

Consequences to Credit

Refusal to pay back the SSA for an overpayment of SSDI benefits might result in a hit to your credit. The SSA might report your nonpayment to a credit bureau, which might impact your financial well-being and ability to do certain things. Unfortunately, some recipients that do not keep track of their SSDI checks or miss a notice of overpayment might not realize this until it is too late. Our Philadelphia disability attorneys can help you monitor your SSDI checks so that you can recognize an overpayment and avoid damaging your credit.

What if You Did Not Receive an SSDI Overpayment?

What if you receive a notice of overpayment from the Social Security Administration, but something’s not adding up? If the SSA informs you of a recent overpayment, don’t pay it back until consulting with our disability attorneys.

While rare, the SSA might send an incorrect overpayment notice to an SSDI recipient. Naturally, recipients might want to act quickly once they receive a notice and send the difference back to the SSA immediately. Before you do, contact our attorneys.

Clerical issues and other problems might result in an incorrect notice of overpayment from the SSA. Before you send payment back to the SSA, consult our lawyers. Our attorneys can review your previous disability benefit checks from the SSA to determine if there has been a recent change. Our lawyers can also review the SSA’s reasoning for an overpayment to determine if it’s correct. If the SSA incorrectly adjusted your SSDI benefit based on wrong information, our attorneys can identify any mistakes.

You do not have to pay back the SSA for the disability payments you deserve. If you received an incorrect notice of overpayment from the SSA, our Bucks County disability lawyers can help you file an appeal to resolve the matter. We can help you gather the necessary information to prove to the SSA that it did not send you too much money in a month so that you can move forward and not pay back money that’s yours.

How to Avoid Consequences from Happening for Not Paying Back an SSDI Overpayment

Not repaying the SSA for an overpayment of SSDI benefits is a serious issue. If you are in such a situation, contact our lawyers. Our attorneys can help you take the necessary steps to repay the SSA quickly to avoid any possible consequences.

Typically, the SSA requires SSDI recipients to respond to a notice of overpayment within 30 days. This is not much time, especially for recipients who do not keep track of their monthly payments. Issues with the mail or changes in address might also result in a delayed response to the SSA. Contact our attorneys to avoid consequences for not paying back an SSDI overpayment.

Our lawyers can help you gather the necessary information to confirm an overpayment and pay back the SSA in a timely fashion. By calling our attorneys and acting quickly, you can quickly resolve any overpayments from the SSA so that your access to benefits is not affected.

Call Our Attorneys if You Were Overpaid SSDI Benefits

If you need help paying back the SSA for an overpayment of disability benefits, reach out to our lawyers. For a free case evaluation with the Allentown disability attorneys at Young, Marr, Mallis & Associates, call today at (215) 515-2954 or (609) 557-3081.

Related Articles

How Bankruptcy Can Protect You

Filing for bankruptcy is often thought of as a sign of failure. At best, it is seen as a last resort when faced with too many bills, collection letters, or […]

Read More »

Means Testing in Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 Bankruptcy

Bankruptcy has many layers. Before filing, a potential debtor will have to gather their bills, bank statements, tax returns, and proof of all household income for the previous six months. […]

Read More »

How Many Types of Social Security Benefits Are Available?

While it is necessary to be disabled to receive disability benefits, the non-medical requirements are different for each category. You may be entitled to one or more types of benefits. […]

Read More »

Have an Attorney Review Your Case for Free

Get a Free Case Evaluation

Contact Our Attorneys To Learn How We Can Help Your Case


12 Convenient Locations Across Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Philadelphia, PA

7909 Bustletown Ave, 1st Floor Philadelphia, PA 19152 (215) 607-7478 Get Directions

Quakertown, PA

328 Broad St. Quakertown, PA 18951 (215) 515-6876 Get Directions

Allentown, PA

137 N 5th St. Suite A Allentown, PA 18102 (215) 240-4082 Get Directions

Jenkintown, PA

135 Old York Road Jenkintown, PA 19046 (215) 544-3347 Get Directions

Easton, PA

101 Larry Holmes Dr. #212 Easton, PA 18042 (215) 515-7077 Get Directions

Bala Cynwyd, PA

2 Bala Plaza, Suite 300 Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004 (610) 557-3209 Get Directions

Bensalem, PA

3554 Hulmeville Rd, #102 Bensalem, PA 19020 (215) 515-6389 Get Directions

Plymouth Meeting, PA

600 W. Germantown Pike #400 Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462 (215) 515-6876 Get Directions

Harrisburg, PA

2225 Sycamore St Harrisburg, PA 17111 (717) 864-8887 Get Directions

Cinnaminson, NJ

909 Route 130 South #202 Cinnaminson, NJ 08077 (609) 796-4344 Get Directions

Hamilton Twp., NJ

100 Horizon Center Blvd., 1st and 2nd Floors Hamilton Township, NJ 08691 (609) 236-8649 Get Directions

Marlton, NJ

10000 Lincoln Drive E One Greentree Centre, Suite 201 Marlton, NJ 08053 (856) 213-2805 Get Directions

Piscataway, NJ

200 Centennial Ave. Suite 200 Piscataway, NJ 08854 (908) 367-7256 Get Directions