Is Disability Insurance Taxable (Tax Deductible) in PA and NJ?

Many of our clients frequently ask if disability insurance payments are tax deductible and if that income is taxable when received. Here, the attorneys of Young, Marr, and Associates provide an overview of the general inner workings of disability insurance for tax purposes. Many of our clients ask accounting questions in order to understand the implications of their legal decisions. We recommend that special attention be paid to the tax-related consequences of recommendations that can impact their lifestyle.

The Pennsylvania and New Jersey social security disability lawyers at Young, Marr, Mallis & Associates break down whether or not disability insurance is tax deductible.

Overview of Disability Deductions

Many people assume that disability benefits are deductible. However, this is only the case for certain types of state-sponsored insurance and private disability insurance. If after-tax income is used to pay for insurance premiums, you are likely to receive insurance income fully or partially tax-free; after-tax income refers to the money left in your paycheck after taxes are taken out.

Here, we give a brief explanation of the types of disability insurance that are deductible. Keep in mind that every time you take a deduction, you need to look at the long-term implications of this deduction in terms of taxes. For some types of insurance, the deduction rests on the notion that taxes will be paid at the point the benefits are distributed. Moreover, even if your benefits are considered taxfree, there are instances when you have to pay taxes if the benefits exceed the premium.  Nevertheless, we always encourage our clients to meet with a tax professional to go over the details of their situation.

Disability deductions are overlooked sometimes because they can be tricky. Although the IRS gives self-employed taxpayers the ability to deduct their overhead insurance, it doesn’t allow the deduction of premiums for lost earnings during sickness-related disability. Every time you pay a premium and don’t take deductions, your income is likely to be tax-free. Some of the types of private insurance include:

Qualified Long-Term Care Insurance 

The premiums for qualified long-term care insurance are deductible on Schedule A of Form 1040. Keep in mind that there are limits based on the taxpayer’s age at the end of the year, and any premiums paid above the limit will not be deductible. The are some restrictions as well in that the policy must cover activities related to daily living and cognitive impairments. 

Individual Disability Income Insurance 

You cannot take deductions for the premiums you pay to get individual disability insurance. However, the benefits’ income will be taxfree.  

EmployeeSponsored Disability Insurance

The tax liability is divided between the employer and employee. You can take partial or specified deductions depending on the type of insurance. If your employer took deductions on the premium, then the income will be taxable to you.

Association or Group Disability Insurance

You cannot deduct the costs of these premiums. However, the benefits are taxfree.

Government Disability Insurance

Most government disability insurance programs are taxable. However, every state has different rules and regulations. In New Jersey and Pennsylvania, you will not pay taxes for statesponsored disability benefits, but you will be responsible for federal disability benefits such as Social Security.

With Social Security Disability benefits you don’t pay premiums to an insurance company. Instead, you pay Social Security taxes out of each paycheck. This amount paid out of your paycheck is not tax-deductible the way a traditional IRA account is deductible at the end of the year. However, unlike an IRA, you don’t have to allocate a specific portion for tax payments when if you receive the benefits. At the point when you receive your benefits, you may have to pay taxes, depending on your income.

Income-Dependent Social Security Disability Taxes

Your Social Security disability benefits are treated as income for tax purposes. Irrespective of whether a single taxpayer’s income is $25,000, or itheir total income exceeds the base amount of $34,000 – $44,000 for married couples filing jointly  they will be responsible for taxes worth either 50 percent of Social Security benefits or one half of the difference between provisional income and the applicable base amount, whichever is less. For a more detailed review, you should talk to a tax professional about your options. Since anyone can become disabled at any age, you need to pay attention if there are age-related income requirements.

Credits Available If You Receive Social Security Disability Benefits

If you receive Social Security disability benefits, you may be able to take a credit to reduce your taxes if you are retired on permanent or taxable disability income and your AGI doesn’t exceed the following amounts: 

  • Single heads of household: $17,500 
  • Married jointly and one spouse is disabled: $20,000 
  • Married jointly and both spouses are disabled: $25,000 
  • Married filing separately (and living apart): $12,500

Also, your disability benefits income cannot be equal to or more than: 

  • $5,000 for singles or couples where one spouse receives disability benefits 
  • $7,500 for spouses filing jointly where both spouses receive disability benefits 
  • $3,750 for spouses filing separately (and living apart)

Seeking Deductions for Disability Related Medical Expenses

There are important deductions you can seek for medical expenses related to your disability and impairment-related expenditures. These deductions include expenses related to the purchase of medical equipment and possibly even home renovations related to your disability. 

Property Tax, Rent Rebate, & Utility Discounts If You’re Disabled in Pennsylvania and New Jersey

If you live in Pennsylvania and New Jersey and you receive Social Security disability benefits, you can qualify for an abatement or reduction on your property costs and taxes. New Jersey residents may receive a deduction of up to $15,000 or a refundable credit when filing income tax returns. The attorneys at Young, Marr, and Associates can help you navigate this difficult process. If you have questions about your disability taxes, call us today at (215) 515-2954 in Pennsylvania and (609) 557-3081 in New Jersey. 

Related Articles

How Bankruptcy Can Protect You

Filing for bankruptcy is often thought of as a sign of failure. At best, it is seen as a last resort when faced with too many bills, collection letters, or […]

Read More »

Means Testing in Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 Bankruptcy

Bankruptcy has many layers. Before filing, a potential debtor will have to gather their bills, bank statements, tax returns, and proof of all household income for the previous six months. […]

Read More »

How Many Types of Social Security Benefits Are Available?

While it is necessary to be disabled to receive disability benefits, the non-medical requirements are different for each category. You may be entitled to one or more types of benefits. […]

Read More »

Have an Attorney Review Your Case for Free

Get a Free Case Evaluation

Contact Our Attorneys To Learn How We Can Help Your Case


12 Convenient Locations Across Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Philadelphia, PA

7909 Bustletown Ave, 1st Floor Philadelphia, PA 19152 (215) 607-7478 Get Directions

Quakertown, PA

328 Broad St. Quakertown, PA 18951 (215) 515-6876 Get Directions

Allentown, PA

137 N 5th St. Suite A Allentown, PA 18102 (215) 240-4082 Get Directions

Jenkintown, PA

135 Old York Road Jenkintown, PA 19046 (215) 544-3347 Get Directions

Easton, PA

101 Larry Holmes Dr. #212 Easton, PA 18042 (215) 515-7077 Get Directions

Bala Cynwyd, PA

2 Bala Plaza, Suite 300 Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004 (610) 557-3209 Get Directions

Bensalem, PA

3554 Hulmeville Rd, #102 Bensalem, PA 19020 (215) 515-6389 Get Directions

Plymouth Meeting, PA

600 W. Germantown Pike #400 Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462 (215) 515-6876 Get Directions

Harrisburg, PA

2225 Sycamore St Harrisburg, PA 17111 (717) 864-8887 Get Directions

Cinnaminson, NJ

909 Route 130 South #202 Cinnaminson, NJ 08077 (609) 796-4344 Get Directions

Hamilton Twp., NJ

100 Horizon Center Blvd., 1st and 2nd Floors Hamilton Township, NJ 08691 (609) 236-8649 Get Directions

Marlton, NJ

10000 Lincoln Drive E One Greentree Centre, Suite 201 Marlton, NJ 08053 (856) 213-2805 Get Directions

Piscataway, NJ

200 Centennial Ave. Suite 200 Piscataway, NJ 08854 (908) 367-7256 Get Directions