Young Marr remains dedicated to our clients during this COVID-19 quarantine. We understand that legal needs of our clients must go on during this time. In order to minimize disruption as much as possible, we are offering free consultations via phone and/or video and can have our clients submit documents virtually.

Can I Get Rid of My Child’s Juvenile Record?

Everyone wants their child to have access to the very best opportunities in life.  But when your child has a juvenile record on file, it can be difficult for him or her find employment. How do you get a job when you have a juvenile record in Pennsylvania?  Can you seal a juvenile record, or are you stuck with it permanently?

What Goes on a Juvenile Record?

Before you start the expungement process, which we’ll explain in greater detail later, it’s important to understand what a juvenile record actually is.  In Pennsylvania, juvenile records are created when charges are filed against a youth, and can actually be broken down into three separate components:

  1. The law enforcement record.  This is what the police keep on file.  It contains information like the nature of the charge, and the record of the arrest.
  2. The juvenile court record.  This is what the court system keeps on file.  It contains notes from any hearings or trials, and can last for up to 25 years.
  3. The juvenile probation record.  This is what the probation department keeps on file.  It contains information like behavioral assessments, and notes from probation officers.

Who Can See a Juvenile Record?

The answer to this question depends on a few factors.  In general, people who can view these records include judges, lawyers, and members of law enforcement.  However, a record can be viewed by anyone if:

  • A 14-year-old was charged with a crime which would have been a felony if they were an adult.
  • A 12- or 13-year-old was charged with an extremely serious felony like rape, murder, kidnapping, or robbery.

Fingerprinted - Can I Get Rid of My Child's Juvenile Record?

Are Juvenile Records Permanent?

There are two possible ways to close off a record of delinquency:

  1. Expungement.  A record no longer exists, and therefore cannot be viewed by anyone.
  2. Sealing.  A sealed record still exists, but the people who can view it are extremely limited.

However, not everyone will be eligible for sealing or expungement.  There are four situations where expungement is possible:

  1. The charges were dismissed.
  2. The offender was discharged from probation at least five years ago, and has not been charged with any other crimes since then.
  3. The offender was discharged from consent decree supervision at least six months ago.  A consent decree is an agreement that outlines terms and conditions for a juvenile to be supervised, as negotiated with the juvenile probation office.  (See 237 Pa. Code Rule 370.)
  4. The District Attorney grants an expungement to an offender aged 18 or older.

It’s very important to be aware that juvenile records do not simply go away by themselves. If you want to eliminate one, you must file a motion for expungement.  A criminal defense lawyer can help you through this process.

Getting a Job With a Juvenile Record in Pennsylvania

The hard reality is, given the choice between a job candidate with a clean record and a job candidate with a history, many employers will tend to choose the former.  However, that doesn’t mean that finding a job is impossible.  What are some ways to help maximize the chances of getting hired?

First, you should consider applying for an expungement with the help of a criminal defense attorney.  If you have already obtained one, be sure to double check with the Pennsylvania State Police Registry to ensure the record was actually removed.

You should also make sure you understand exactly when your child is obligated to address his or her history with employers.  Being adjudicated delinquent is not the same as being convicted of crime, and this has a direct impact on the way your child can answer questions on job applications.

For example, if your child was adjudicated delinquent (which means he or she committed a delinquent act), and a job application asks if he or she was ever convicted of a crime, the adjudicated offender can answer “no.”  They must answer “yes” only if the question specifically asks if they were adjudicated delinquent.  They must also answer “yes” if the application asks if they ever had a criminal record, even if the record was subsequently expunged.

If the child was adjudicated delinquent and had their record expunged, they can answer “no” to questions about ever being convicted of a crime or felony, and ever being adjudicated delinquent.  However, once again they must answer “yes” to the question of whether they ever had a record which was later expunged.

Pennsylvania Criminal Defense Lawyers Offering Free Consultations

A delinquent history can create many problems for children and teenagers later in life, which aren’t exclusively limited to employment. Having a history on file can also pose an obstacle to joining the military, receiving financial aid for college, and even getting a driver’s license.

An experienced criminal defense lawyer may be able to help.  To set up a free and confidential legal consultation, call Young, Marr & Associates at (215) 701-6519 in Pennsylvania today.



icon car - Criminal Defense

Learn what to do if you have been stopped for DUI/DWI.

icon car - Criminal Defense

If this is your first DUI offense, you may be eligible for ARD.



Commonwealth v. "H" (DUI case)

Client was charged with three separate DUI cases calling for mandatory minimum imprisonment of 90 days on each case. Client was advised to seek immediate intensive alcohol counseling. Client was sentenced to 1 year of house arrest after serving 3 days in the county prison.


Commonwealth v. "C" (Felony drug/Firearms case)

Client was charged with felony Delivery of drugs and illegal gun possession and was facing a mandatory 3-6 year prison sentence in the State prison system. Client was sentenced to one year of house arrest.


Commonwealth v. "S"

Client was charged with simple assault, domestic. After a hearing where evidence and testimony was presented, the entire case was dismissed by Judge Leonard Brown.


State of New Jersey v. "H"

Charges for young man charged with second degree aggravated assault were downgraded to third degree and he was accepted into the County Pretrial Intervention program with charges to be dismissed and record expunged after one year of misconduct free behavior.


We have decades of experience dealing with local police departments, prosecutors, and judges throughout southeastern Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

Anyone facing charges involving a criminal offense can expect to experience a heightened degree of emotional turmoil, for themselves, as well as their family members. Our team of highly qualified criminal law attorneys and expert legal support staff are committed to providing each of our client’s with the compassion and understanding they deserve, as well as an aggressive plan for representation at an affordable price.

As former prosecutors, we have a balanced and in-depth understanding of the criminal justice system and how the prosecution prepares cases. In addition, we have long-standing experience dealing with local police departments, prosecutors and judges throughout southeastern Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

At Young, Marr and Associates, when we say “experience matters,” we mean it. Our lawyers, which include two former prosecutors and a former senior deputy district attorney bring more than three decades of criminal law experience, handling more than 10,000 criminal cases. It is precisely that experience that allows us to achieve outstanding results for our clients facing DUI, traffic, felony and misdemeanor charges in state, federal and juvenile courts.