Young Marr remains dedicated to our clients during this COVID-19 quarantine. We understand that legal needs of our clients must go on during this time. In order to minimize disruption as much as possible, we are offering free consultations via phone and/or video and can have our clients submit documents virtually.

Cherry Hill, NJ Bankruptcy Attorney

Financial difficulties can strike at any point in our lives. However, there are things in life that are “non-negotiables” at all points in life, even in the face of money problems. For example, Cherry Hill is considered one of the best places to live in the United States. If you live in the Cherry Hill area and you’re facing financial difficulties, the prospect of losing your home and other assets can be real. New Jersey is currently the state with most foreclosures nationwide.

The Cherry Hill law firm Young Marr & Associates has attorneys skilled in helping seek debt relief and a fresh start. Your information is protected and confidential, and your initial consultation is totally free of charge. We handle Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 cases throughout Southern New Jersey. We have multiple locations including offices conveniently located in Marlton and Mount Holly, New Jersey. Call us at (609) 236-3519 to schedule a free consultation with our Cherry Hill bankruptcy attorneys.

How Do I Start Filing A Bankruptcy Petition in NJ?

Filing for bankruptcy has a negative reputation because the process can be intimidating. Bankruptcies appear in credit scores for 10 years. Also, the judicial process may seem overwhelming, but people who say bankruptcy is bad typically don’t understand the process. You could file for bankruptcy, liquidate all or part of your debt, and keep your home. Once you have discharged all or part of your debt, you may find opportunities to rebuild your finances. Credit scores may turn into a subsidiary concern in relation to the bigger picture of your financial future.

The first step to take if you’re considering filing bankruptcy is to determine if your monthly debt payments are higher than your take-home pay. If the answer to this question is no, then filing for bankruptcy can be a good decision.

Seeking more loans may not be the best option if you can’t make ends meet, since bills accumulate over time. Recognizing this difficulty early on can be helpful if you have a mortgage payment and keeping your home is very important to you. If you have credit card debts, these are likely growing at an interest rate average of 13% or more. Quick accumulation of interest rates can have devastating financial consequences.

What is a “Bankruptcy Petition” and “Debt Relief”

The term “bankruptcy petition” refers to the request for a court to “discharge” or purge the debt allowable under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. “Debt relief” means the debt will be cleared in compliance with the laws. Bankruptcy laws provide two debt classifications: dischargeable and non-dischargeable.

Typically, secured debt is non-dischargeable while there are types of non-secured debt that can be discharged. Secured debts are backed or linked to an asset known as collateral. The asset can be a car or a home. A home can be foreclosed or re-claimed if you don’t pay. Unsecured debt is not attached or connected to an asset like credit cards.

While most unsecured credit card debt can be discharged partially or in full, not all unsecured debts qualify to be cleared right after the bankruptcy petition is filed. However, there is unsecured debt that has to be scrutinized before discharge is granted. For instance, student loans are debt that will only be discharged upon a showing of “undue hardship.” The undue hardship exception ordinarily applies to situations when the debtor is too sick or too disabled to be able ever to repay the debt. Undue hardship is known to be approved when the debtor’s disability is permanent – as defined under state and federal laws.

Tax debt typically cannot be discharged, and future payments will not be excused with a bankruptcy filing. However, there are parts of tax debt that may be excused, like penalties and interests known as “personal liabilities.”

What Should I Do if I Can’t Pay Monthly Bills in New Jersey?

If you’re contemplating filing for bankruptcy, you must choose between Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.

A Chapter 7 Petition can be a more appropriate alternative when there is a limited number of assets. If you file for Chapter 7, your car and home can be protected. If there are other assets at stake, there are state and federal exemptions that can be applied to some assets. The person designated to supervise the filing is known as a “trustee.” Trustees are typically lawyers appointed to mediate between creditors and debtors as to the amounts of debt canceled.

A Chapter 13 Petition generally permits individuals to keep all of their property if they are able to keep up with a payment plan with their earnings or income. Chapter 13 tends to be appropriate when the limited or partial discharge of unsecured debts will allow the individual to make ends meet. This payment plan has to be submitted to the court. The trustee will supervise the execution of the payment schedule. The judge and judicial clerks will also monitor the plan since bankruptcy rights have to be protected at every stage of the petition. The Chapter 13 Plan repayment schedule ordinarily lasts between 36 and 60 months.

Does Filing for Bankruptcy Stop Collection Calls?

An “automatic stay” is a legal term that means “stop.” If you are behind in payments, it’s likely you receive calls and letters from creditors. When you file for bankruptcy, you usually receive an “automatic stay” that stops these calls and letters. If you continue to get calls, those collectors may be breaking the law.

Call Your Cherry Hill, New Jersey Bankruptcy Attorney Today and Protect Your Home

It’s important to consult with a knowledgeable, experienced bankruptcy lawyer when determining if bankruptcy is best for your situation. The lawyers at Young, Marr & Associates can help you make an informed and financially sound decision. If you’re overwhelmed with collectors’ phone calls, letters, and the fear of losing your home, then this is the time to speak to a bankruptcy attorney. Young, Marr & Associates are proactive and will file an emergency bankruptcy filing on the same day if necessary. Call our law offices today at (609) 236-3519 to schedule a free legal consultation.

Have You:

Been paying credit card balances that seem to never go down?

Lost your job and are now having trouble keeping up?

Attempted to work out a payment arrangement to no avail?

Been notified of a mortgage foreclosure action?

Been denied for a mortgage or other line of credit?

If the answer to any of these questions is “yes” then bankruptcy may be an option that you should consider.

Get Your FREE Consultation


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Awards & Recognitions

Best Pennsylvania Law Firm Near Me
Best New Jersey Law Firm Near Me
Best Philadelphia and Bucks County Lawyers
Pennsylvania and New Jersey Bankruptcy Lawyer
Pennsylvania and New Jersey Criminal Defense Lawyer
Pennsylvania and New Jersey Disability SSDI Lawyer
Bucks County Criminal Defense Attorney
Best Pennsylvania Law Firm Near Me
Pennsylvania and NJ Lawyers Near Me
Pennsylvania and NJ Attorneys Near Me
Pennsylvania and NJ Lawyer Near Me
Pennsylvania and NJ Attorney Near Me

12 Convenient Office Locations

map-pinPennsylvania Offices map-pinNew Jersey Offices


328 W Broad St
Quakertown, PA 18951
Tel: (215) 515-6876
Get Directions


7909 Bustleton Ave, First Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19152
Tel: (215) 607-2715
Get Directions


3554 Hulmeville Rd, #102
Bensalem, PA 19020
Tel: (215) 515-6389
Get Directions


10000 Lincoln Drive E, Suite 201
Marlton, NJ 08053
Tel: (856) 213-2805
Get Directions

Bala Cynwyd

2 Bala Plaza, Suite 300
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
Tel: (610) 557-3209
Get Directions


101 Greenwood Ave
Jenkintown, PA 19046
Tel: (215) 544-3347
Get Directions

Mt. Holly

27 Cedar St
Mt. Holly, NJ 08060
Tel: (609) 796-4344
Get Directions


200 Centennial Ave, Suite 200
Piscataway, NJ 08854
Tel: (908) 367-7256
Get Directions


137 N 5th St, Suite A
Allentown, PA 18102
Tel: (215) 240-4082
Get Directions


101 Larry Holmes Dr, #212
Easton, PA 18042
Tel: (215) 515-7077
Get Directions

Hamilton Twp.

3525 Quakerbridge Rd, #903
Hamilton Township, NJ 08619
Tel: (609) 236-8649
Get Directions